Saturday, March 24, 2007

Conquering Addiction


Since birth Grace has been addicted to the binky. The binky goes with us everywhere. One night, about 2 months ago, we couldn't find any binkies around the house. The 3 of us searched every inch of the house calling bin-ky, bin-ky ... I was not looking forward to bedtime that night and I am sure Grace wasn't either. Finally, we found one lonely binky at the bottom of the toy basket. With Grace's horrible sleep issues we were not ready to try to deal with taking the binky away quite yet. The very next day we went out and bought 4 more binkies.

So Thursday I arrived at daycare to pick Grace up and Lora (our daycare lady) told me that she didn't give Grace her binky that day and she did ok without it. She said she was thinking about Grace's sleep issues and she said she would hate to have us finally get Grace sleeping good and then take the binky away and have her sleep issues start all over. That was a REALLY good point. I hadn't thought about that. When we got home that night Grace ran right to her room and found a binky under her bed. I took it away from her and cut the tip off really quick. I went to Grace and showed her and I told her that the binky is broken. She looked really confused and she took it from me and she stuck her finger thru it and said "ehh?" "ehh?" I said, "I'm sorry baby the binky is broken we are going to have to throw it in the trash." She held my hand and we walked over to the trash can and we threw it away. It took her about 10 seconds and then she started sobbing uncontrollably with big huge tears. It was like someone had died. It was awful. I felt soooo horrible! I started crying myself. It took a good half hour for her to calm down and then she was ok until bedtime. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be though. She cried for about 10 minutes the first night, 2-3 minutes the second night and tonight she didn't cry at all. My baby is getting so big, I am a little sad:(

1 comment:

Kimberly Schrock said...

I saw the supernanny do something to break the binky addiction that worked so well it suprised me. She told this little girl that the binky fairy was going to come and they needed to put all the binkies in a bag (just a gift bag) so that other little girls could have them and that the binky fairy would leave a present...they put them all in a bag, hung them on the tree. The next morning the little girl went outside and there was a very pretty gift bag with a very pretty new doll...she forgot all about the binkies!